History

Glimpses into the past of the area where we now live

Palmer Street before new developments

Rare views from Miller Street towards Norths. Taken when the two blocks in between were cleared for redevelopment.

Taken Nov 2009

Posted in History | Leave a comment

A view of the old BP Service Station site before redevelopment into a new shop/residential block. Note that the contaminated soil round the fuel tanks has been removed.

Picture taken November 2009

Posted in History | Leave a comment

Pictures of Cammeray Past

The following pictures are extracted from Stanton Library’s collection of images of North Sydney.
They show how our area has developed over the years.
Unless stated each picture is copyright Stanton Library.

Suspension Bridge 1900

Suspension Bridge 1900

The Bridge Estate 1902

The Bridge Estate 1902

Cammeray Road, east of Cammeray Park 1918

Cammeray Road, east of Cammeray Park 1918

View to Cammeray Park from Echo Street 1920

View to Cammeray Park from Echo Street 1920

All Saints' Church of England, Carter Street, Cammeray 1930

All Saints' Church of England, Carter Street, Cammeray 1930

View of Long Bay and Middle Harbour from lookout in Cairo Street 1937

View of Long Bay and Middle Harbour from lookout in Cairo Street 1937

Green Park, Cammeray 1937

Green Park, Cammeray 1937

Tiley Street, Cammeray, looking towards Northbridge 1938

Tiley Street, Cammeray, looking towards Northbridge 1938

Kindergarten room, Cammeray Public School 1939

Kindergarten room, Cammeray Public School 1939

Site of Kendall Community Centre in Green Park 1948

Site of Kendall Community Centre in Green Park 1948

 

Houses in Carter Street, Cammeray, near dairy paddock 1958

Houses in Carter Street, Cammeray, near dairy paddock 1958

 

Freeway from Carter 1970 Copyright held by Department of Planning

Freeway from Carter 1970 Copyright held by Department of Planning

 

Posted in History | Leave a comment

Place Names in Cammeray

The following has been sourced from the publication “Naming North Sydney”.

Amherst Street
Lord William Pitt Amherst was Governor General of India 1823-1828. Some old directories and plans mis-spell this street as AMHURST.

Avon Street
Henry Green, local builder and former Mayor of North Sydney 1921-1922, built over 300 homes in North Sydney. It was recorded that he was fond of old English names and those named by him bear witness to this. It is believed that Avon is named after Stratford on Avon. Green himself lived in Avon Street.

Bellevue Street
While it is probable that this street is named for its beautiful view, a former Alderman of the Borough of St. Leonards, G. A. Bell, did live in this vicinity. Originally included in present day ANZAC AVENUE.

Cairo Street
George Caird was an early landowner in Cammeray.

Carter Street
Probably named after Alderman J. Carter, a former Mayor of North Sydney Council, 1903-1909.

Green Park
This land was donated to the community as a public reserve by resident Henry Green, who was Mayor of North Sydney 1921-1922. A building contractor by trade, he built over 300 houses in North Sydney

Miller Street
In 1833 William Miller, Assistant Commissary-General of Government Provisions, purchased some of the land granted to Deputy Assistant Commissary-General Thomas Walker on the North Shore. In 1844 Miller was transferred to Hong Kong and passed his North Sydney home to his son. In the 1870s this became Bernard Holtermann’s house and in the late 1880s the Sydney Church of England Grammar School (Shore).

Palmer Street
After Sir Joseph Palmer Abbott , whose house “Tarella” was built in 1886 and still stands in nearby Amherst Street. He was Speaker of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly, Member of the 1897-1898 Convention to frame the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Australia and Chairman of the A.M.P. Society. He died in 1901.

Primrose Park
Primrose Park dedicated in 1930, was named after H.L. Primrose, Mayor of North Sydney 1926-1932, and later New South Wales Minister for Health. In the 1890s, the Park was the site of North Sydney’s first sewage treatment works. The engine and compressor houses, tunnels and canals can still be seen.

Tunks Park
William Tunks was the first Mayor of St. Leonards from 1867 until his death in 1883. He was also elected to the Legislative Assembly as a Member for St.Leonards in 1864. He was very active in community affairs, being particularly interested in improving public reserves in the district. It was largely through his efforts that Gore Hill Cemetery was established and the site of Lavender Bay Baths was secured.

Warringa Road
The name was also used for present-day STRATFORD STREET. The name commemorates one of North Sydney’s former wards.

Posted in History | Leave a comment

Cammeray map before the Warringah Freeway was built

This map is taken from a street directory published before the Warringah Freeway was cut through Cammeray. I’m not sure of the date of this map – can anyone help?

Map of Cammeray before Warringa Freeway construction

Map of Cammeray before Warringa Freeway construction

Posted in History | Leave a comment